Saturday, October 1, 2011

Red-Eyed Devil : Ep 1 - An Introduction

This is simply, a Manchester United and Football column. There, that wasn't hard, was it? :)

Est 1878

 I have been a Manchester United supporter for over 20 years. My first memory that I can clearly recall of Man U was watching them on TV in the UK, when they whipped Nottingham Forest 5-0. Before that, we (my family and I) had gone to Old Trafford a few times as part of our driving holidays, as my parents were students studying their Masters Degrees in Scotland. We never actually got to attend a match at OT, but seemed to show up their on matchdays when on holiday. Some of my most cherished possessions include photos taken with Mark Hughes and Neil Webb.

Credit : Jordan M Brumley (http://studentweb.fortlewis.edu/JMBRUMLEY/Soccer.html)
I realise that to some United supporters, and probably most Mancunians, my credentials do not stand up to consideration when assessing what makes a true United supporter. I stand by my club, however, regardless of the 'Bandwagon' jibes that are inevitably directed my way by those that consider birthplace a pre-requisite for being a supporter. I understand that viewpoint, because football at heart is a tribal sport, and one that appeals to our individual need to be part of the collective. We are one tribe after all, and tribes tend to be geographical in nature first and foremost, before attracting followers and converts from elsewhere.

Nick Hornby probably does a better job of describing it than I ever could, regardless of how many blogposts I put up about it.

To those that do not know who or what Manchester United are, I urge you to go visit their website and read up on them. :) (psst, it's www.manutd.com).

This column will be a weekly affair, with updates to come on Monday or Tuesday. So do come back, for your weekly dose of Red-Eyed Devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment