Friday, September 30, 2011

XplitShock : Ep 1 - An Introduction

I'll start off with an explanation of what this is supposed to be.

Every week, owing to my propensity to play games far more than is considered healthy for a 20 something male, I will be writing a column that expresses my love for this particular medium and discussing topics of the day. Or week. Whichever comes to mind.

First of all, why XplitShock?

Xplit (Split) comes from my own personality, being the indoor gaming hermit that I am, coupled with my propensity for outdoors-y activities such as sports, the occasional party and odd debate tournament or public speaking competition.

The DualShock3
Shock comes from the Sony PlayStation's controller, the DualShock, and indicates where I do most of my gaming. I suppose that must have been quite obvious to the well-informed among you.

As it is, the motivation behind this column is simple - I want to share my love of videogames with the world and my views on it. It is a dynamic medium, an interactive playground where your imagination, principles and views are merged with and challenged by that of the developers that have done their best to bring you into their world. No other medium of entertainment comes close to this sort of interactivity and immersion.

Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)
No, I'm not talking about Angry Birds. I'm talking about games such as the Metal Gear Solid franchise, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and God Of War. Games that transcend mere fun, and become genuine experiences that alter perceptions, raise questions and provoke discussions.

Having said that, I do intend to talk about the platforms themselves, as well as the state that the industry is in from time to time. After all, we can't have games without a games industry, can we?

So do come back, every Thursday or Friday, for your weekly dose of XplitShock. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment