Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Presenting to you, the gist of my existence.

Not really.

I have a presentation today. I actually love doing presentations. What I hate though, is preparing for them. Making slides, condensing reports into point form, trying to keep in mind time limits. It's like debating, in a way, minus the freedom of interpretation and the relative lack of pressure. Although having said that, having weeks to prepare beforehand doesn't really help. Inevitably, the slides will only be prepared the night before.

Or in today's case, a couple of hours before.

I feel spiffy though. Hair's a mess, but I must say, I look awesome in a collared shirt and tie, with my blazer. Rawr. Okay, narcissism aside, it IS a requirement to get all dressed up for these things. You get marks for 'presentation & delivery' you know. :)

I can't believe how much debating has helped me with all of this presentation lark. The ability to think on your feet, to compromise your words to ensure you stay on time, being able to respond quickly, accurately and confidently during the Q&As. All these aspects have been improved by my participation in debating. I am finally aware of how much I owe to an activity that most of the general public considers to be a talking shop that wastes a colossal amount of time not really achieving anything.

 Thanks, Swinburne Debate Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment