Sunday, May 16, 2010

All that you left behind.

All it took was one small memento that you left.

All it took was one small reminder of the sweetness of your presence.

All it took was one small token to bring back the scent of your hair and the warmth of your touch.

I haven't seen you in person for a long time. Or, at the very least, what feels like a long time. On the cosmic scale of things, this absence would serve as nothing more than a blip that would barely register. But we're not talking about cosmic scales. We're not talking about grandiose timelines. We're not referring to abstract constructs of time itself.

We're talking about my world. And the place that you occupy in it.

It is the simple essence of missing you. Thinking of you. Wishing for your proximity and your generous smile to brighten a day. And to illuminate the night that follows. To have the delicately deliberate movement of your hands slowly closing around me and your aura enveloping me. Such uncomplicated joy. Such depth in the space of such minimalist interaction.

Am I caught up in you? Yes, I am. I make no apologies for it. I cannot help but fall, for there would no one else worthy of the attention that you have rightly earned.

For being different.

For being delightfully left-field.

For being you.

For reaching far into me and seeing me for who I am, and beginning to understand the sheer complexity that serves as the character that I possess.

I fear though. A fear that is brought on by the realisation that one day, I could be just a memory. A statistic. A passing phase in the glorious rainbow that makes up your life. It humbles me, to feel this small, this insignificant, in the face of such awe-inspiring eternality. Have I enriched your life? Have I made a difference? Have I done enough to matter?

I do not know, in all honesty. I do not know if I linger in your memory, or am just a footnote in your day.

What I do know is that I am not without merit, and that I am worthy, if given the chance, of absolutely being the best your life could ever give you.

I fear though, that to you, I will just be the memento that got left behind. To you, it might be nothing.

To me, it could change the very fabric of my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment